March 22, 2011
How can we nurture creativity in our kids?
- Provide children with the resources and time to make up their own stories and fantasy play. For example, give your children a towel and tell them it's a magic carpet and pretend you're flying in the air with it.
- Encourage silliness in conversation and play. Encourage play that is non-reality.
- Tell stories about characters in other countries or different periods of time. Then make your child a character of the story. Ask child to answer questions about how she would live under the circumstances of the story. For example, how would your child eat if she lived in Cairo, Egypt?
- Buy books written in other countries and read them to your children
- Use all of your sense to explore nature with you child. Smell and look at floweres. Touch grass. Hear birds.ll and see beautiful flowers. Touch the grass and trees lllll
- Try ethnic foods. Either make them yourself or go out to restaurants. Tell children where these foods originated.
- Have children help you provide functional items for your house. Have child help you pick out a ceramic bowl you can use to hold the keys by the door.
- Have Have your children help you decorate the house. Move furniture around, add painting to a wall, or shop for items together.
- Nurture the mode of thinking that there are several approaches to every problem.
- Have children come up with different solutions to the same problem.
- Allow children to experiment and make mistakes