Top Ten Back To School Things To Do
August 19, 2011
My children are starting school soon and I’m planning every detail of our morning, pick-up, after school, homework, evening ritual and bedtime. My thinking is to be proactive and plan before hand so the school year starts on a positive note.
Here are some things I put on my “to do” list
- Get school supplies. Most school websites have a list and some office supply stores carry lists for the neighborhood schools.
- Schedule the flu shot for yourself and the kids.
- Review bus, class, and bell schedules, as well as school policies.
- Research and plan for extracurricular activities for children if it’s applicable.
- Plan an approach to getting children to sleep at the proper time. My girls have been staying up too late. I plan to gradually set their bedtime earlier over a period of two weeks so they acclimate to their new schedule.
- Discuss the following issues: bullying, making friends, the value of education & learning, and finally the importance of good communication. Let them know you are always ready to listen and be available to them.
- If you children are new to the school, let them tour the school and meet their teacher. If your school has a social event, attend.
- Clothes shopping if necessary.
- Help children get and stay organized. Provide a designated area of your house for homework and storing school materials.
- Prepare a list of healthy lunch choices in advance. This will make shopping and planning easier.